Saturday, April 10: 11:00am – 12:30pm (Pacific Time) | Breakout Session #4
How the Microbiome Shapes the Systemic Immune Response in Health and Disease
with Kiran Krishnan
The world has lived through an unprecedented time with the pandemic. In an effort to decrease our susceptibility to other harmful viral infections, this is an opportunity to collectively educate patients on the power of preventative healthcare and to get a better understanding of our natural defenses. The microbiome and the immune system are inextricably connected and the immune system would cease to function without the microbiome. The microbiome acts as the “Neighborhood Watch” for the immune system allowing for effective surveillance of a mucosal system that is over 3000sq ft in surface area and inhabited by over 40 trillion microbes. This presentation will provide a review on the components of the immune system, the kinetics of our immune response and the critical support and check-points managed by the microbiome. One of our most powerful tools in fighting invading pathogens is having a healthy microbiome and this talk will illustrate what exactly that means.
- Review of our immune response and kinetics to a new pathogen
- Learn about how the microbiome helps the development and function of the immune system
- Learn how to increase overall resiliency by improving the microbiome and paying attention to specific types of dysbiosis
- Leave with specific action items that can be incorporated into practice on Monday morning.
About Kiran Krishnan
Kiran Krishnan is a Research Microbiologist and has been involved in the dietary supplement and nutrition market for the past 20 years. He comes from a strict research background having spent several years with hands-on R&D in the fields of molecular medicine and microbiology at the University of Iowa. He left University research to take several leadership positions in global companies in Business Development and Product Development.. Most recently, Kiran is a Co-Founder and the Chief Scientific Officer at Microbiome Labs, a leader in microbiome and probiotic research. He is a frequent lecturer on the Human Microbiome at Medical and Nutrition Conferences. He is an expert guest on National Radio and Satellite radio and has been a guest speaker on several Health Summits as a microbiome expert. He is currently involved in over 18 novel human clinical trials on probiotics and the human microbiome. Kiran is also on the Scientific Advisory Board for 7 other companies in the industry. Kiran has published clinical trials in peer-reviewed, scientific journals and several global patents in his name.
Current Positions and Advisory Roles
- Microbiome Labs, LLC. – Chief Science Officer
- Nu Science Trading, LLC. – E.V.P. Science and Business Development
- DMS Natural Health, LLC. – Scientific Advisor
- HB Specialty Foods, Inc. – Scientific Advisor
- SilverFern Brands, Inc. – Scientific Advisor
- WR Group – Probiogen – Scientific Advisor
- Sun Genomics Labs – Member, Board of Director
- Body & Eden – Member, Board of Directors
- The Human Longevity Project – Scientific Advisor
- org – Scientific Advisory Board Member